Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I didn't make it to six weeks

Ah, the six week benchmark. "You will be back to your normal self by six weeks" "No heavy lifting for six weeks, even if you're feeling fine. After that, you're good to go." Words of wisdom from doctors, nurses, other patients and every know it all around.
I didn't make it that far. By three weeks post-op, I was still in agony. During my second trip to the emergency department I was happy to see that the doctor who performed my surgery was on duty that day. She admitted me. I figured I would just be in overnight since it was late and they wanted to do some tests.
Seven days, two ultrasounds, a CT scan, two courses of antibiotics, and far too many drugs placed in every crevice of my body later, I was discharged while still in terrible pain and still no answers.
I was happy to be home. I missed my family. If I was going to be miserable in pain, I would rather be in my own bed! So what's the problem?
While in hospital, my OB/GYN who followed me through my pregnancy (not the surgeon) thought it would be good to get a pair of fresh eyes on this. Perhaps another doctor may see something she missed. Sound reasoning. I agreed.
Our local hospital is a teaching hospital for the medical school at the university. Meaning, a resident doctor examines you first, then the MD. A few times when I had to see someone for women's health, I always asked if the resident was male or female. If it was a man, I declined the resident and just saw my female doctor. My main reason for this was because there were several of my male friends from high school in med school at the time. Knowing my luck, one of them would walk in while I was laying down, feet in stirrups! Awkward! Not the best way to reunite with old pals!
However, now I was in so much pain, I didn't care who examined me. I had a male resident and a male doctor see me. Now my thoughts are "No ovaries, no opinion!"
It was clear that this man thought I was making all of this up and wasting his precious time and a hospital bed. I was discharged the next day. What do I do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment